Home > Health and Care visa

Health and Care visa

The Health and Care Worker visa

The Health and Care Worker visa is for those medical professionals who want to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care. The route can lead to permanent settlement in the UK and applicants can be joined by dependent partners and children.

In order to apply for a Health and Care visa, you will need to be sponsored to do a specific job, which meets certain skill and salary requirements, by an employer that holds a sponsor licence by the Home Office.

Requirements for a Health and Care visa

If you want to apply for the health and care visa, you will need to satisfy the following:

  • Be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional;
  • Work in an eligible health or social care job;
  • Work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office;
  • Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK;
  • Be paid a minimum salary – this will depend on the type of work you do;
  • Satisfy the English language requirement – you must be competent in the English language to at least CEFR Level B1 (equivalent to IELTS 4.0); Nationals of some countries are exempt though.
  • You have enough money to support yourself without relying on public funds;
  • You have provided a criminal record certificate, if required;
  • You have provided a valid TB certificate, if required.

The exact requirements you will need to satisfy will vary depending on your circumstances.

As part of the application, the applicant will needs to state the occupation code, listed here.  The job description used to recruit the individual must match the description of the occupation code.

It is recommended that legal advice is sought when determining the salary and occupation code of a position as if this information is incorrect, the application may be refused. Our business immigration lawyers are on hand to help. Contact us here for assistance.

How long does it take to obtain a Health and Care visa?

You can submit your application up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK, as per the date on your certificate of sponsorship. As part of your application, you will need to prove your identity and provide supporting documents. If you are required to attend an appointment, you should allow extra time.

Once you have submitted your application online, proven your identity and provided your supporting documents, the Home Office aim to make a decision within 3 weeks.

If you require a faster decision, you may be able to pay to use the priority service.

If your application is successful, your visa can be granted for 3-5 years. A new application will need to be made to extend the visa or if you change jobs or employer. Once you have been in the UK for 5 years, you may be eligible to apply to permanently settle in the UK by making an ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ application.

How much are the Home Office fees?

The application fee would be approximately: £247 – £479 per applicant

Need help with your Health and Care visa application? Contact our expert business immigration lawyers at Davenport Solicitors here.

Get in touch


The latest UK Immigration Statistics published last month show that nearly 118,000 Indian students received a Student visa in the year ending June 2022 – an 89% increase from the previous year: https://bit.ly/3duK2h8


Did you know that as well as expert HR Support, we also offer fixed fee HR packages? Learn more here: https://bit.ly/3S1A1qD

#HR #HRSupport

The right to bring claims against an employer for #unfairdismissal usually requires an employee to have at least two years of continuous service. There are however some statutory exceptions to this rule as set out in The #EmploymentRightsAct 1996: https://bit.ly/3QKmPGe

Here, we advise employers on where they stand in terms of allowing employees/workers to take the day off for the Queen's funeral on Monda. It is important to note that they do not automatically have the right to take the day off work: https://bit.ly/3Ud2yv3


At Davenport Solicitors, we understand that dealing with disciplinary and grievance issues in the workplace is distressing for employers, which is why our Employment Law experts are here to help.

Click here to find out more: https://bit.ly/3xosdHv


Load More...

Our Services

Dealing with workplace issues need not be challenging. We are here to help take away the pain associated with being an employer so doing business becomes easier.

Explore more

Our Blogs

Employment Law

Another bank holiday – Employers options

September 12, 2022
Employment Law

Political Opinions and unfair dismissal

August 22, 2022
Business Immigration

What is the UK Start-Up route and who is it aimed at?

August 22, 2022

Associations and

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons