Home > Sponsor Licence

Sponsor Licence

What is a sponsor licence?

A sponsor licence allows businesses to recruit non-EEA nationals. A migrant who wants to apply for a Tier 2 or Tier 5 visa, or extend their current visa, must be sponsored, and issued with a certificate of sponsorship, by an organisation that holds a sponsorship licence. An employer has a legal obligation to ensure all their employees have the right to work in the UK. Therefore, if they want to hire a non-EEA national, they must hold a sponsorship licence.

What do I need to prove to get a sponsorship licence?

When an organisation applies for a sponsorship licence the Home Office will need to establish the following in order to grant the licence:

  • If the applicant is a genuine organisation operating lawfully in the UK.
  • If the applicant is honest, dependable and reliable.
  • If the applicant is capable of carrying out their sponsor duties and evidencing their compliance.
  • If an applicant is applying to sponsor Tier 2 (General) they must be able to show that they can offer genuine employment that meets the Tier 2 (General) skill level and appropriate rates of pay.

How to apply for a sponsorship licence

Applications for a sponsorship licence must be made using the online application form. A legal representative can help prepare the application, but it must be an employee of the organisation who submits the application. Applicants will be asked to choose which tier, categories and subcategories of visas they want to be licenced to sponsor. Applicants must print off and sign a submission sheet which must be sent with the necessary supporting evidence via post within 5 working days of the date of the application.

What are the possible decisions of a sponsorship licence application?

Licence applications may be rejected, refused or granted with an A-Rating. A sponsor licence is valid for 4 years, after which it will expire. However, the Home Office may revoke it at any time if the sponsor obligations have not been met. If an application for a licence is granted, then the employer will be able to assign certificates of sponsorship to migrants they want to work for them.

How long does it take to get a decision on an application?

The Home Office aim to decide on all applications within 8 weeks, however, they may want to visit an applicant’s business to ensure they can meet their sponsor obligations. The visits may be with or without notice.

How much does it cost to apply for a sponsorship licence?

Sponsorship licence applications costs are based on the size of the applying company and the type(s) of visa they want to sponsor. A business whose annual turnover is £10.2 million or less and has 50 employees or fewer is considered a small business. The fee for small businesses or charities would be £536 and for medium or large business the application fee would be £1,476.

How can we help you?

We offer bespoke tailor-made solutions for our clients including:

  • Access to expert Immigration lawyers, 7 days a week, 365 days per year, once instructed.
  • Initial consultations of up to 30 minutes free of charge.
  • Consultations outside of GMT hours and at weekends.

Our specialist entry clearance service is designed to make the process as simple as possible for you. We will take your instructions using Skye, Viber, WeChat or telephone; liaise with your sponsor (if necessary); send you detailed advice specifying exactly what documents you will need to provide; prepare your application; apply online; pay the fee; make your biometric appointment; and check your visa once issued.

How Davenport Solicitors can help you with your Tier 2 Sponsorship Licence application

At Davenport Solicitors, we will:

  • Advise on applying for a sponsor licence so you can employ workers from outside EU countries
  • Adapt your HR processes to make sure you are compliant with Home Office obligations
  • Carry out mock Home Office audits to help you implement systems to keep correct records and comply with the strict reporting duties required under a sponsorship licence
  • Implement or refine your processes and procedures so that they are in line with immigration laws and policies
  • Advise you about issuing Certificate of Sponsorship
  • Help you to manage the sponsorship process by acting as your appointed Level 1 or Level 2 user
  • Manage the smooth transfer of staff from your overseas branch to the UK
  • Advise you on UK settlement for your employees
  • Assist your employees and their families on initial entry and extension applications
  • Inform you about legal and procedural changes

Do you need help with your Tier 2 Sponsorship licence application?

Get in touch with one of our expert immigration lawyers today! Call us on 020 7903 6888 or request a call back at a time convenient for you. You can also drop us an e-mail at contact@davenportsolicitors.com. We aim to reply within 24 hours.

Call us now on

+44 020 7903 6888

Get in touch

I have read the privacy policy and agree to you processing my personal information

Our Services

Dealing with workplace issues need not be challenging. We are here to help take away the pain associated with being an employer so doing business becomes easier.

Explore more

Our Blogs

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons