Home > Tier 4 Student Visa

Tier 4 Student Visa

Tier 4 General Student Visa is the category that allows overseas students to come to the UK and study. It is fact that the UK has a long and well-known educational history.   To enter the UK on a student visa, some tough requirements need to be met.  However, recognising the enormous contribution international students make to the UK, not only economically, but culturally as well, the government is testing a scheme to make it easier for students to enter the UK.

Who Can Apply for a UK Tier 4 General Student Visa?

To apply for entry to the UK on a student visa, you must be:

  • An overseas student who wants to study in the UK, or
  • Already in the UK, and wishing to remain in the UK to study, or
  • Already in the UK and wanting to switch to the Student Visa category

What are the UK Tier 4 General Student Visa Eligibility Requirements?

You must meet the following criteria to successfully apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa:

  • Have been offered a place at a UK higher educational institution which is a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor
  • Have a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number from your UK educational institution
  • Meet minimum financial requirements to live, pay tuition, and cover expenses while in the UK
  • Have proof of English language proficiency (there are some exceptions):
    • Nationality from an English-speaking country, or
    • An accepted English language degree, or
    • Successfully passing an accredited English language test

In addition, your course must meet the criteria.  You can attend the following on a Tier 4 (General) Visa:

  • a full-time course that leads to at least a Level 6 qualification on the Ofqual register
  • a part-time course leading to at least Level 7 on the Ofqual register
  • a foreign course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution
  • a full-time course, with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study, leading to a qualification which is at least Level 3 on the Ofqual register
  • a recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist

What Documents Are Required for a Tier 4 General Student Visa?

To successfully apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa, you will need to submit the following (a non-exhaustive list of) documents with your application:

  • your passport or other valid travel document
  • CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)
  • proof (in the form of bank statements or other financial documents) that you can pay for your course fees and support yourself throughout the time you spend studying
  • proof that your parent or guardian consent to you coming to the UK if you are under 18 years old, proof of your relationship with your parent or guardian
  • the results of your Tuberculosis test if you are required to have one

How we can help you study in the UK under Tier 4 Student Visa of the Points-Based System

Our team of experienced solicitors at Davenport Solicitors can:

  • Assist you and your family on initial entry and extension applications
  • Provide bespoke relocation information packages to minimise your stress that often occurs when moving across the world
  • Make sure that you meet the Government’s right to rent checks needed to live in privately rented accommodation in the UK

Contact our immigration and Tier 4 Student Visa Solicitors here.

If you need support with the business visitor visa, you can contact our expert here.

Get in touch


Our Services

Dealing with workplace issues need not be challenging. We are here to help take away the pain associated with being an employer so doing business becomes easier.

Explore more

Our Blogs

Associations and

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons