Dealing with Employment Tribunal Claims
Employment Tribunals deal with claims brought against you as employers by your employees relating to their employment or its termination. Employment Tribunals can also hear claims against other bodies such as trade unions and professional associations. Dealing with Employment Tribunal claims can be stressful, but we’re here to help. Employment Tribunals cover a wide range of claims covering a wide range of issues including:
- Unfair dismissal claims
- Wrongful dismissal claims
- Discrimination in the workplace claims
- Equal pay claims
Employment Tribunals can also hear claims against other bodies such as trade unions and professional associations.
Acas Early Conciliation
Acas Early Conciliation (EC) is mandatory, and you need to check whether your employee has an Acas Early Conciliation Certificate. This is important because:
- If your employee wanted to bring a claim to the Employment Tribunal, it is a procedural requirement that they have already filled in an Acas Early Conciliation form and obtained an Early Conciliation Certificate
- By starting an EC, they “freeze” the time limit to then bring a claim to the Employment Tribunal. The time limit resumes once an Early Conciliation Certificate is issued, and depending upon the exact dates, time is sometimes extended
- While you can state that you do not wish to settle, this process can be an effective way to reach a settlement, if there is a potential claim
Dealing with Employment Tribunal claims can be stressful. It is often better for you to resolve problems with your employee using the Acas grievance and disciplinary procedures before problems reach an Employment Tribunal claim. A third-party mediator can also help. We can provide a trained mediator. If a claim does reach the Employment Tribunal, any award can be increased or decreased by up to 25% if either side has unreasonably failed to follow the Acas Code.
Any correspondence via ACAS cannot be presented to the Employment Tribunal.
Employment Tribunal Claims Advice for Employers
Although you can represent yourself in a UK Employment Tribunal, specialist Employment Tribunal solicitors increase the chances of successfully defending you against a claim. Tribunal rules are complex and losing or winning can depend on using the right tactics from the outset, so it pays to get advice from Employment Tribunal solicitors as early as possible.
How we can help?
Dealing with Employment Tribunal claims can be stressful, but we’re here to help. If one of your employees is threatening or has already lodged a claim in an Employment Tribunal, our expert team of employment law specialists at Davenport Solicitors can help. We provide the expert advice that you need in order to make an informed decision about how to achieve the best outcome for you and your business. Contact us here to find out more.