Health and Care Worker Visa UK
The Health and Care Worker visa
The Health and Care Worker visa is for those medical professionals who want to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care. The route can lead to permanent settlement in the UK and applicants can be joined by dependent partners and children.
In order to apply for a Health and Care visa, you will need to be sponsored to do a specific job, which meets certain skill and salary requirements, by an employer that holds a sponsor licence by the Home Office.
Requirements for a Health and Care visa
If you want to apply for the health and care visa, you will need to satisfy the following:
- Be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional;
- Work in an eligible health or social care job;
- Work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office;
- Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK;
- Be paid a minimum salary – this will depend on the type of work you do;
- Satisfy the English language requirement – you must be competent in the English language to at least CEFR Level B1 (equivalent to IELTS 4.0); Nationals of some countries are exempt though.
- You have enough money to support yourself without relying on public funds;
- You have provided a criminal record certificate, if required;
- You have provided a valid TB certificate, if required.
The exact requirements you will need to satisfy will vary depending on your circumstances.
As part of the application, the applicant will needs to state the occupation code, listed here. The job description used to recruit the individual must match the description of the occupation code.
It is recommended that legal advice is sought when determining the salary and occupation code of a position as if this information is incorrect, the application may be refused. Our business immigration lawyers are on hand to help. Contact us here for assistance.
How long does it take to obtain a Health and Care visa?
You can submit your application up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK, as per the date on your certificate of sponsorship. As part of your application, you will need to prove your identity and provide supporting documents. If you are required to attend an appointment, you should allow extra time.
Once you have submitted your application online, proven your identity and provided your supporting documents, the Home Office aim to make a decision within 3 weeks.
If you require a faster decision, you may be able to pay to use the priority service.
If your application is successful, your visa can be granted for 3-5 years. A new application will need to be made to extend the visa or if you change jobs or employer. Once you have been in the UK for 5 years, you may be eligible to apply to permanently settle in the UK by making an ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ application.
How much are the Home Office fees?
The application fee would be approximately: £247 – £479 per applicant
Need help with your Health and Care visa application? Contact our expert business immigration lawyers at Davenport Solicitors here.