Skilled Worker Visas in the UK: Your Path to Work and Settlement

If you’re looking to work in the UK and secure a path to settlement, the Skilled Worker Visa is your opportunity. This visa is available to individuals of all nationalities (except British and Irish citizens) who have a job offer from a UK employer with a valid sponsor licence approved by the Home Office. Our dedicated team of immigration solicitors is here to guide you through the process, ensuring a smooth journey to your UK work and settlement goals.

Understanding the Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker Visa offers several advantages, including the potential for permanent settlement and the option to bring along dependent partners and children. To qualify, you need a job offer that meets specific skill and salary criteria from a Home Office-approved sponsor.

Key Requirements for the Skilled Worker Visa

To be eligible for the Skilled Worker Visa, you need to meet these core requirements:

  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • You possess a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from your sponsor for the intended job.
  • The job offer is genuine and matches a valid vacancy.
  • Your sponsor has paid the Immigration Skills Charge.
  • The job falls within the appropriate skill level.
  • You have a sufficient grasp of the English language (CEFR Level B1).
  • Your salary meets the general salary threshold and the occupation’s ‘going rate.’
  • You have the financial means to support yourself without relying on public funds.
  • You’ve provided any necessary criminal record and TB certificates.

The specific criteria may vary based on your unique circumstances. Consulting with our skilled business immigration lawyers is advisable to ensure accurate information, especially regarding salary and occupation codes, which are crucial aspects of the application process.

Application Processing Time

The Home Office aims to process applications within:

  • 3 weeks for applications outside the UK.
  • 8 weeks for applications within the UK.

For a faster decision, the priority service may be an option, although it doesn’t guarantee an expedited process.. Successful applicants may receive a visa valid for 3 to 5 years. Extensions or changes related to employment require a new application. After 5 years in the UK, applicants may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain..

Benefits and Limitations

With a successful Skilled Worker Visa application, you can:

  • Work in eligible positions.
  • Pursue studies.
  • Bring your eligible partner and children as dependents.
  • Engage in voluntary work and certain types of additional work.
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK.

However, you won’t be eligible for most benefits or the State Pension, and job or employer changes may necessitate visa updates.

Home Office Fees

Fees for the Skilled Worker Visa include:

  • Standard visa fee: £610 – £1,408 (varies by circumstances).
  • Healthcare surcharge: Usually £624 per year.

For expert assistance with your Skilled Worker Visa application, turn to our experienced business immigration lawyers at Davenport Solicitors. Your path to UK work and settlement starts with us. Contact us today for guidance and support.

Request a free call back

You’re welcome to call us on +44 020 7903 6888 or email us at contact@davenportsolicitors.com. We aim to reply within 24 hours.