Sponsor Licence Application Guide: Expert Advice from UK Immigration Lawyers

Understanding the Significance of a Sponsor Licence

Are you a business aiming to hire overseas nationals? Look no further than a sponsor licence, your gateway to recruiting skilled foreign workers. For migrants seeking a Skilled Worker visa, Temporary worker visa, or visa extension, sponsorship by an employer with a licence is mandatory. Employers bear the responsibility of ensuring their workforce’s legal right to work in the UK. Consequently, possessing a sponsor licence is imperative when hiring international talent.

Prerequisites for Acquiring a Sponsorship Licence

When pursuing a sponsor licence, the Home Office assesses three key aspects:

  • Authenticity: Establishing the applicant as a legitimate entity operating lawfully in the UK.
  • Integrity: Verifying the applicant’s credibility, reliability, and trustworthiness.
  • Capacity: Evaluating the applicant’s ability to fulfil sponsor duties and demonstrate compliance.

For those seeking to sponsor Skilled Workers, genuine employment opportunities matching the required skill level and fair wages are vital. Alongside the application, specific documents are crucial. However, the documents needed vary based on the applicant’s organisation type and industry. Incorrect documentation submission may lead to application rejection.

Diverse Licence Categories

Sponsor licences encompass two primary categories, catering to distinct business needs:

  • Workers: For skilled or long-term employment.
  • Temporary Workers: For specific short-term employment needs.

Each licence type features several subcategories, accommodating various industries and circumstances.

Exploring Licence Types and Subcategories

Diverse licence types offer tailored solutions, including:

  • Skilled Worker: The main route for skilled non-UK workers, except EU/EEA/Swiss nationals under the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • Senior or Specialist Worker: Designed for transferring established employees to the UK in multinational companies. Duration varies based on salary, without leading to UK settlement.
  • Minister of Religion: For religious organisation workers, including non-pastoral roles.
  • International Sportsperson: For elite sportspeople and coaches stationed in the UK.

Temporary Worker licence include:

  • Creative Worker: Catering to creative industry professionals.
  • Charity Worker: Enabling unpaid work at charities.
  • Religious Worker: Allowing work within religious orders or organisations.
  • Government Authorised Exchange: Facilitating short-term knowledge exchange.
  • International Agreement: Covering roles defined by international law.
  • Graduate Trainee, Service Supplier, UK Expansion Worker, Secondment Worker, and Seasonal Worker: Tailored for specific needs.

Navigating the Licence Application Process

Applications are submitted online.. It is crucial to chose the correct tier, categories, and subcategories. The submission sheet, printed, signed, and emailed with supporting evidence, must be sent within five working days of the application date.

Potential Application Outcomes

Sponsor Licence applications can be rejected, refused, or granted with an A-Rating, valid for four years. Non-compliance may lead to licence revocation by the Home Office. Successful applications enable employers to issue certificates of sponsorship to selected migrant workers.

Timeframe and Costs

The Home Office aims to decide on applications within eight weeks. Expedited processing via the priority service incurs a fee of £500, although accelerated decision-making is not guaranteed. Application costs vary based on business size and sponsored visa types.

  • Small Business: Annual turnover ≤ £10.2 million, ≤ 50 employees – £536.
  • Medium or Large Business: £1,476.
  • Additional CoS and Immigration Skills Charge apply per migrant worker.

Our Expert Assistance

At Davenport Solicitors, we offer comprehensive solutions for a seamless sponsorship process. From compliance guidance and documentation preparation to audit simulations and immigration law alignment, our services ensure your sponsorship journey is streamlined and in compliance with regulations.

Connect with Us

Do you require assistance with your Sponsor Licence application? Our skilled immigration lawyers are here to assist. Connect with us today and embark on a successful sponsorship journey.

Request a free call back

You’re welcome to call us on +44 020 7903 6888 or email us at contact@davenportsolicitors.com. We aim to reply within 24 hours.